New Site Pending…
Watch for my new site. Coming soon…
Ideas to Transform Healthcare in BC
Four questions: What are your bold ideas to transform healthcare in BC?
A survey of my reader's ideas.
If you're a regular reader of mine, you know I study the marketing and use of prescription drugs and I often write about our irrational embrace of pharmaceuticals. I think that our general discourse on health has been tainted by pharmaceutical money and we live in denial of the dangers and harms of pharmaceuticals.
But what is your perspective?
My reader's answers to these four questions will become the theme of my next column, which will arrive a few days before election day, May 9th, 2017.
Alan Cassels is an author, drug policy researcher and Adjunct Professor in the School of Human and Social Development at the University of Victoria.
Since 1994 he has worked on a research and evaluation studies focusing on drug benefits policies and examining how clinical research and experience on drugs is communicated to policy-makers, prescribers and consumers. He has acted as a project manager, principal investigator and co-investigator on studies related to drug plan policies, the management of private drug benefits, seniors' attitudes towards drug coverage, and the media reporting of pharmaceuticals.
He is an expert advisor with Canada's Evidence Network, a reviewer and blogger for HealthNewsReview.org which evaluates medical news reporting, and is the senior vice president of research for Quizzify.com, a company that teaches employees how to buy and use healthcare.
As the author of four books, including a best seller on the pharmaceutical industry, Alan Cassels has also carried his enthusiasm for his topic into print and radio journalism in many venues in the popular press.
Books and Book Chapters
Books by Alan Cassels:
- The Cochrane Collaboration: Medicine's Best-Kept Secret (Agio Publishing House, 2015).
- Seeking Sickness (Greystone Books, 2012).
- The ABCs of Disease Mongering: An epidemic in 26 letters (Emdash Publishing, 2007).
- Selling Sickness (Greystone Books, 2005). Co-authored with Australian journalist Ray Moynihan.
Alan Cassels contributed to these books:
- Excessive Medical Spending (Academic Press, 2009) — chapters were contributed by Alan Cassels.
- Nutrition and Genomics (CRC Press, 2007) — a chapter was contributed by Alan Cassels.
Updated: April 14, 2017